Connect with us

Jump to:

Frequently Asked Questions

Want to know more about INGWE, our services and how we can help you?

The answers to these and more can be found below.

FAQs for
Studying in Canada

What are the steps to study in Canada?

Step 1: Understand the Requirements - make sure the prerequisites of the program and school of interest match your background, qualifications and experience.

Step 2: Choose your Course - select a program from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) recognized by the government of Canada.

Step 3: Take the Language Proficiency Test – TOEFL and IELTS are the most popular and widely accepted. If your English is not good enough, you can always take an English pathway program.

Step 4: Apply and get admission to your program.

Step 5: Pay fees and receive a letter of acceptance.

Step 6: Apply for a study permit - all new study permits are issued at a Canadian port of entry.

Step 7: Travel to Canada - if your application is approved you will receive a Letter of Introduction at the Port of Entry (POE) as well as a travel visa (if required for your country of citizenship). These documents will authorize you to travel to a Canadian POE to obtain your study permit.

How much does it cost to study in Canada?

Tuition fees vary based on province, institution and program.
They may range from CAD $11,000 to CAD $25,000 approximately.

Do I need to show proof of funds when applying for a study permit?

Canada study permit applicants need to prove they have sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, and financial capacity to support living expenses for the first year of study.

Single student: Tuition plus $10,000 for a 12-month period (or $833 per month)

For one accompanying family member add: $4,000 for a 12-month period (or $333 per month)

For each additional family member, add: $3,000 for a 12-month period per dependent child of any age (or $255 per month)

The information above is for all provinces except Quebec.

Are scholarships available to international students in Canada?

Some private, government or public institutions in Canada offer scholarships and financial aid for international students. International students can be eligible for funding in both scholarships (merit-based awards) and bursaries (awards based upon your finances). If you are coming directly from high school, you may be eligible for entrance scholarships which are automatically considered based upon admission and can also apply for our bursary programs.

Contact your school directly to see if they have any options available.

Are TOEFL, IELTS or CELPIP required in order to submit a study permit application?

All Canadian universities and colleges require IELTS/ TOEFL or proof of language proficiency in order to gain admission.

However, if you meet all the entry requirements but your English skills are quite low, you have the option of taking an Academic English or Pathway program

Can I apply for PR after finishing High School?

Unfortunately, no. Canada offers numerous immigration programs for international students to apply for permanent residence, but only after the completion of post-secondary studies.

Can I pursue secondary studies with a low GPA (Grade Point Average)?

Yes. Canadian colleges offer a number of certificates and diplomas that you may have access to with a low GPA. However, most bachelor’s and master’s degrees require a minimum GPA of 2.8.

Can I pursue secondary studies with a basic English level?

Yes, for those students with low English skills, English pathway and Academic English programs are available at most ESL schools, colleges and Universities.

In most cases, these programs will grant you a Conditional Admission to the Academic Program of your choice.

Can I legally work in Canada while studying an ESL program?

If you’re only enrolled in an English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL) program, you can’t work off- campus without a work permit.

What is the difference between Private and Public schools in Canada?

Public and private elementary and secondary schools in Canada are available for International students. Both have their advantages depending on your needs. Commonly, public schools tend to be cheaper, but private schools have smaller class sizes and more location and intake options. Please keep in mind that public schools are not free for international students unless their parents are working or studying in Canada, or they are asylum seekers.

Trade and vocational schools, colleges and universities need to be registered as a Designated Learning Institution (DLIs) for an international student to be able to attend. Publicly-funded DLIs are the only ones that will allow you to legally work in Canada after graduation. Private universities and colleges, on the other hand, are for students that would like to obtain a credential from a Canadian school and then return to their home countries after graduation.

What is a Designated Learning Institution?

A designated learning institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. To apply for a study permit, you need an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution.

Is a study permit required for short courses?

If your program is less than six months in duration, you are not required to obtain a study permit. However, for any course longer than six months, a study permit is mandatory.

What happens next if a study permit application is refused?

If an application is refused, the individual may be able to re-apply with a new application.

Is it possible to work during studies?

An international student may be eligible to work while studying in Canada. A student must have a valid study permit and be enrolled full-time at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Study permit holders may be allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full time during scheduled breaks.

Students enrolled in an English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) program are not authorized to work with a study permit.

Is it possible to stay in Canada after graduation?

Canada offers international students different ways to stay and settle in the country after graduation. Most student chose to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). Gaining work experience in Canada after graduation may help you qualify for permanent residence in Canada through a variety of immigration programs.

Please note that many private schools are not eligible for a PGWP.

If a student changes institution, is a new study permit required?

If a student is transferring from one Designated Learning Institution (DLI) to another, he or she must notify Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) by updating his or her online account. The new institution must also be a DLI and he or she must ensure to either maintain the same level of education.

Can a spouse be included in the application?

Yes, a spouse or common-law partner of a valid study permit holder, who is enrolled full-time at a qualified post- secondary institution, may be eligible to apply for an open work permit. The open work permit for a spouse or common-law partner may be valid for the same period of time as the study permit, and as long as the study permit remains valid.

Can dependent children accompany an international student to Canada?

An applicant’s dependent children may accompany him or her to Canada. However, an application for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) may be required for the accompanying dependent.

Does a dependent child who will be studying in Canada need a separate study permit application?

If an individual is already in Canada on a study or work permit, his or her accompanying minor child may be eligible to study without a study permit. A study permit applicant must indicate that his or her minor children will also study in Canada.

Is it possible to submit an application without all the required documents, and update the application later?

A study permit application should be complete upon submission. A visa officer may make a decision based on the documents submitted with the initial application without giving the applicant a chance to submit the missing document.

Can a minor child study in Canada if he or she is under the age of majority?

Yes, a minor child is able to study as long as they either come with a parent or legal guardian or have a custodian in Canada.

Who can serve as a custodian?

A custodian is a responsible adult who is also a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is appointed to take care of and support the minor child in Canada. An immigration officer must be convinced that once the minor child travels to Canada to study he or she will have the proper care and support they need.

Is it possible to apply for study permit for a distance learning program?

A study permit cannot be issued for a distance learning course. However, if a distance learning program includes an in-Canada portion, and the length of the program is longer than six months then the student may receive a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program. The duration of the study permit, however, is restricted to the duration of the in-Canada portion only.

What immigration programs are available to international students interested in permanently settling in Canada?

Education in Canada may offer international students a route to Canadian permanent residence. There are a range of federal and provincial programs available for international students to apply for immigration, and in some cases, this can be done without a job offer. Canadian education and work experience award those who are eligible additional points in the federal Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System.

What is the Quebec Acceptance Certificate or Certificat d'acceptation du Quebec (CAQ)?

Anyone undertaking a course or program of study of more than six months in the province of Quebec must be authorized to do so by Immigration Quebec. This authorization is given in the form of a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) which is issued for the level of study and duration of time of the specific program.

How long does it take to obtain a study permit?

Processing times vary greatly from country to country, ranging from a few weeks to a few months, so be sure to plan in advance!

What is a Conditional Admission?

For international students, conditional admission means you’ll be admitted to an Academic Program if, and only if, you successfully complete further English-language training such as an English for Academic Purpose program or an English Pathway. Conditional admission is generally offered to academically qualified international applicants whose English abilities are lower than what’s required by their schools for regular, or unconditional, admission.

What is an English pathway?

A pathway course is taken before a student enrolls at a college or university. It is designed to give them the English level required and to prepare them for their degree studies. When students pass their pathway course at the required level, with good attendance, they are guaranteed to progress to their chosen degree at a college or university. A student does not require an IELTS/TOEFL, if they undergo an English pathway program.

FAQs for
Working in Canada

How can I apply for a work permit to come to Canada?

In most cases, if you are outside of Canada and your spouse is not working/studying in Canada, it is required that a Canadian company offer you a formal job. In this case, you will have no other choice.

Another more expensive option is to apply for an investor work permit – to start your own business as a manager/owner in Canada.

These are the categories of people who can apply for open work permits for Canada:

  • Are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
  • Are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
  • Applied for permanent residence in Canada
  • Are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  • Are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
  • Are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  • Are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
  • Are a temporary resident permit holder
  • Are a young worker participating in special programs

In each of these above-listed situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible.

What are my realistic options for obtaining a work permit in Canada?

If you do not have a spouse in Canada with a valid permit (work or study), then your only options are summarized below:

  • Find a Canadian employer to offer you a full-time job
  • Come to Canada as a student and after graduation receive a post-graduate work permit. Study part-time 20 hours a week while you study
  • Invest in a business in Canada (new or existing) and receive an investor or start-up visa work permit
  • Be accepted as a legitimate refugee claimant in Canada

*** Our office does not handle refugee applications.

How can I work in Canada?

Foreigners who want to work in Canada must have a valid work permit. Contact our office to get more info.

Can I apply for a work permit without a job offer from outside of Canada?

No. Unless your spouse is in Canada as a full-time student or with a valid work permit, or you meet any of the criteria listed in point #2 in the first question.

Can I get a job offer if I do not speak English or French?

Yes. A low-skilled job is possible if you don’t speak English or French. Contact our office to get more info.

FAQs for
Investing in Canada

Can I invest in Canada without visiting?

Yes. Contact us to get more info on how you can invest in Canada.

What options do I have to invest in Canada if I am not a resident?

Most options are available to non-residents, including but not exclusive to business acquisition, new business investment, property, private secured lending, etc.

Does my investment in Canada have to be linked to an immigration program?

No. Such a requirement is not mandatory if you do not plan to immigrate to Canada.

Can I immigrate to Canada by purchasing property?

No. Such a program does not exist.

How can I make sure my investments in Canada are secure if I am overseas as a non-resident?

All your investments (including business, property, money in the bank account) would be under your own name inside Canada - even if you have no status in the country.

Where can I find out more information about investing in Canada as a non-resident?

Send us a quick WhatsApp message or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for a fast response.

FAQs for
Express Entry

Can I and my partner/spouse each have a separate Express Entry profile? What will happen if one or both of us are invited to apply (ITA) under Express Entry?

Yes, either or both partners in a common-law or spousal relationship can have their own Express Entry profile with the other member as the accompanying partner.

In case both Express Entry profiles receive an ITA (invitation to apply), one applicant should reject the invitation in order to continue with the application of the other partner/spouse. It is important to make sure that the main applicant meets all the criteria and has the proper documentation before deciding for which of the partner’s profiles to accept the ITA under Express Entry.

You can contact us for a quick 30-60 minute review of your profiles and documentation in case you do receive an ITA.

How long do I have to submit my documents after receiving the ITA (invitation to apply)?

You have 60 days from the day you receive the invitation to apply (ITA).

Can all my work experience count for different occupations under Express Entry?

This depends on certain criteria. For the eligibility criteria for Express Entry, only one occupation (NOC code) can be used. After becoming eligible, you can gain points for any occupation work experience - no limit on the number of NOC codes.

Do I need to submit original documents for my permanent residency application after I receive the ITA under Express Entry?

You can scan your originals and upload them on your Express Entry account.

Can I claim points for a job offer for my Express Entry profile?

If you have studied in Canada and now have your post-graduate work permit, you can claim the points if you have a permanent job offer in NOC 0, A, or B.

There is no requirement under this category for an LMIA. If you don’t fall under this category, you will most likely require an LMIA to make your job offer is valid - to claim the points. There are certain exceptions for LMIAs which can be found on the IRCC website.

What if my work permit has no NOC code - what should I enter on my Express Entry profile to claim the job offer points?

Enter the NOC code which you are currently working as - even if your work permit is an open work permit without any NOC code.

FAQs for
Family Sponsorship

What if my spouse or partner has no status inside Canada? Can I still sponsor him/her?

Yes. It is possible.
Send us a confidential message by This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or WhatsApp for a quick consultation.

Can I sponsor my partner/husband/wife if I am an international student?

No. Only permanent residents and citizens could be eligible to sponsor family members from outside of Canada.

Do I need to have a minimum income to be able to sponsor my family?


What documents do I need to apply to sponsor my family from overseas?

Send us a quick WhatsApp message or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for a document checklist.

Can my husband/wife/partner work in Canada while we are waiting for their (PR) permanent residency application to be processed?

Yes - under the pilot program this is possible.

What if I did not declare my partner/husband/wife/children on my application when I first came to Canada? Can I still sponsor them?

Yes. If you are now a permanent resident or citizen of Canada, and never declared your family on your original application - there is a new pilot program offering this opportunity to sponsor your family from overseas.

Can I sponsor my children who are older than 21?

In most cases, this would not be possible. Only under special circumstances could this be done. Send us a quick WhatsApp message or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for a fast response.

FAQs for
Parents & Grandparents Sponsorship

When will the program open again to sponsor parents/grandparents?

The program opens every year, typically between January to February based on the government announcement. Every year a limit/quota of applications is accepted based on a first-come basis.

Can I sponsor my parents/grandparents to come to Canada?

This depends on your eligibility criteria including income during the past three years, your residency in Canada, if you have ever been on welfare / social assistance/unemployment benefits, and any if you had any previous sponsorship obligations.

What’s the difference between a supervisa and sponsoring my parents/grandparents?

A supervisa allows your parents or grandparents to stay inside Canada continuously for 2 years per stay based on this type of visa. Sponsorship of your parents/grandparents would lead to permanent residency - not a visa.

Can I sponsor my brother or sisters?

Under special circumstances, this could be possible. However, this depends on the age of your siblings and whether you have any family in Canada. Send us a quick WhatsApp question or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for a fast response.

Can I apply to sponsor my parents/grandparents if my notice of assessment for this year has not been issued yet and I did not have enough income for my previous notice of assessment?

You can apply to sponsor your parents/grandparents even if your notice of assessment for the last year (2019) has not been issued yet but you are not able to sponsor them if you do not have the required income according to LICO plus 30% for the previous years. (2019 figures will be added in January 2020)

Total number of persons you
would be responsible for
Minimum income required for the 3 taxation years right before the date of your application
2 persons $40,379 $39,813 $39,372 $38,618
3 persons $49,641 $48,945 $48,404 $47,476
4 persons $60,271 $59,426 $58,768 $57,642
5 persons $68,358 $67,400 $66,654 $65,377
6 persons $77,095 $76,015 $75,174 $73,733
7 persons $85,835 $84,631 $83,695 $82,091
If more than 7 persons, for each
additional person, add
$8,740 $8,616 $8,521 $8,358

Can I co-sponsor my husband/wife’s parents/grandparents?

You can be a co-signer on your husband/wife's parents/grandparents and you and your spouse's gross income will be combined for the 3 consecutive taxation years immediately preceding the date of the sponsorship application.

FAQs for
Canadian Passport

What is the fastest way of applying for a Canadian passport?

Unless you are born to a Canadian parent, everyone else has to become a permanent resident first and meet the residency requirements before being eligible to apply for a Canadian passport. There is no fast-track program or province to obtain a Canadian passport.

Can I apply for a Canadian passport through a business immigration program?

No. Any new immigrant to the country has to become a permanent resident and then meet the residency obligations before they could apply for a passport.

Do I need to live in Canada to apply for a passport?

In most cases, the answer to this question is Yes. In some very special exceptions would you be eligible for Canadian citizenship if you are already a permanent resident but not living in Canada.

What is the fastest immigration program in Canada to obtain the passport?

All immigration programs either lead to a temporary resident visa, permit, or a permanent residency. Without a permanent residency, you cannot apply for Canadian citizenship - unless you were born to a Canadian parent.